Our new deep-frozen shortcrust pastry, made with real butter, is perfect for making delicious cake bases and crispy biscuits!
Simple lemon cake with shortcrust pastry
- 1 packet of Van Kook shortcrust pastry with real butter
- 4 eggs
- 3 ½–3 ¾ dl sugar
- 1 large lemon
- 110 g butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp corn starch and ¼ tsp salt (optional)
How to prepare:
- Thaw the dough according to the instructions on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, line the 22–24 cm round mould with dough and cut the edges evenly.
- Pierce the base of the dough all over with a fork and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees.
- Zest the lemon, remove the white part under the rind and cut the lemon into 8 slices. Remove all seeds (they will make the cake taste bitter).
- Add eggs, sugar, bright yellow lemon zest, lemon pulp and butter in a jug mixer or a food processor and process until the texture is smooth.
- Pour the filling onto the pre-cooked shortcrust pastry base.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes, cool to room temperature and sprinkle with icing sugar and grated lemon zest, if desired.