Selver was the first store in Estonia to add ready-made food to its range
When the idea arose to offer ready-made food in the store, there was an in-depth discussion about whether to build our own kitchen facilities or work with suppliers. The decision was made in favour of our own kitchen, and the facilities were built on the premises of KADAKA SELVER.
In the initial weeks, ready-made food was served from noon. The afternoon was chosen so that customers rushing home could save time cooking in the evening. Today, it’s quite common to buy ready-made food from the counter, but it was quite an innovative concept at the time. Within a few weeks, it became clear that there was a lot more demand, and ready-made food was made available during the entire opening hours of the store.
After the opening of JÄRVE SELVER in 2000, the demand for Selveri Köök food grew so great that it was time for the FIRST expansion of Selveri Köök. A confectionery and bakery counter was also opened at Järve, and Selver’s chefs made the first pre-ordered party food.
When Selver bought the Tirsi stores in 2005 and expanded to Tartu, two new kitchens were opened at the ANNE and RINGTEE Selver stores, employing more than 70 people.
By that time, there were almost 250 products in the Selveri Köök catalogue – every day about 10 tons of delicious food arrived from Selveri Köök to 19 Selver stores and the Tallinna and Tartu Kaubamaja department stores.
As orders in the ever-increasing Selver stores grew, the company built a modern production facility in Lasnamäe in 2007 to meet demand. The 4 200 m2 factory had the resources to service 35 to 40 stores. This allowed Selveri Köök to continue producing on a large scale in Lasnamäe, where it is still located today.
In the following years, both commerce and the food industry continued to develop rapidly. In essence, Selver and Selveri Köök operated in different areas, and in terms of stores, it was difficult to measure and manage the costs and food production activities. In 2012, this prompted the creation of the Selver subsidiary KULINAARIA OÜ.
By 2019, Kulinaaria OÜ needed to serve more than 50 stores, as well as the Tallinna and Tartu Kaubamaja department stores. In addition, other partners included convenience stores and ships. Once again, Kulinaaria’s volumes outgrew the production facilities, and the time arrived for an even larger factory with greater capacity.
In 2020, KULINAARIA’s new production facilities were completed, which were combined with the original building. With the completion of the production facilities, Kulinaaria doubled its production area to 8 000 m2. The equipment was completely updated to bring new foods to market, be a trendsetter, increase production volumes and automate production processes.
- In 1998, the first Selveri Köök was opened at Kadaka Selver,
with a total area of 200 m², 20 employees and approx. 50 products. It served Tallinna Kaubamaja department store, Punane Selver and Kadaka Selver stores
- In September 2000, Järve Köök was opened,
with a total area of 500 m2 and approx. 100 employees. A confectionery and bakery counter was added and the production of pre-ordered party food was started
- In April 2004, Kadaka Köök was expanded,
with 2 floors, a total area of 800 m2, approx. 120 employees in Tallinn and approx. 180 products
- In September 2005, 2 new kitchens were opened in Tartu:
Anne Köök specialising in ready-made food and desserts, and Ringtee Köök in confectionery and bakery products.
There were about 70 people employed in our Tartu kitchens, the offering comprised about 250 products and the area serviced was South Estonia
- In 2006, our customers had the opportunity to order food at home via e-channels for the first time
- In 2007, a modern Selveri Köök was opened in Lasnamäe Industrial Park in Tallinn,
with a production area of 3 300 m2, total area of 4 000 m2 and 23 stores
- In October 2012, a separate company, Kulinaaria OÜ, was established,
with approx. 250 employees, approx. 300 products, production capacity of approx. 16 tons per day and 45 stores
- In May 2016, the company was granted an ISO 22000:2005 food safety management system certificate
- In May 2019, the company renewed its ISO 22000:2018 certificate
- In 2018, our chickpea-courgette salad was awarded the title of “BEST ESTONIAN READY-MADE FOOD 2018”
- In 2020, a new production building was constructed,
with an 18.75-million-euro investment in equipment, technical systems and buildings, a production area of 8 000 m2, more than 70 stores and approx. 280 employees
- In 2021, VAN KOOK’s cookie dough with toffee and caramel was awarded the title of “BEST ESTONIAN CONFECTIONERY PRODUCT 2021”
- In 2021, our Winter Dream cake won the title of “BEST CHRISTMAS PRODUCT 2021”